Well, the wedding went off without a hitch. Hmm... except we did get "hitched"... let me just chuckle for a moment over how amusing I am... The flights to and from Cancun weren't nearly as smooth as I would have liked, but when I came back and read about my sister-in-law's trip, I realized that I really had it easy.
The Philosopher King and I were supposed to leave the airport at 2:30 and then catch a flight in Newark at 6:00. When we arrived at the airport, we were told that we had a two hour delay because of the storm in Boston. That meant that we would probably miss our flight to Cancun and have to catch the next one that was supposed to leave the next morning. We had the option of staying in Bangor and simply waiting until the next morning to go anywhere, but we decided to take our chances and get out of Bangor as soon as possible. I knew that the snow was going to start hitting hard.
After lashing out at my husband for things he couldn't possibly control (I later apologized for my crazy behavior), I tried to accept that I would most likely end up having paid for a night at an all-inclusive resort that I would not be using. I bought a book, visited with my bridesmaid, Kristen, for a couple of hours, and then got ready for a bumpy ride. As soon as we got on the plane, the flight attendant told us that because of the expected turbulence, we would not be receiving any pretzels or drinks. I burst into tears. I was under a lot of pent-up stress because of the wedding and the whole storm disaster, and the fact that I was not going to get any pretzels was just too much. I calmed down and just started praying that we'd see land again.
We arrived in Newark. As soon as we were allowed to get out of our seats, I jumped up, grabbed my bag, got ready to run, and.... waited. The pilot told us that the tunnel-thing that connects to the door of the plane was malfunctioning and that the baggage claim area was flooded. People burst into laughter. I burst into tears. If you can't tell by now, I'm not really a fun person to travel with.
The flight to Cancun ended up being delayed an hour, so we actually made it. My husband thought it was hilarious that I spent all that time stressing out when things worked out beautifully. I have to admit, his way is better.
The flight back to Bangor went ok, though it would have been better if U.S. Airways hadn't overbooked our flight from Cancun to Charlotte and then given away our seats. They marked our bags for Philadelphia, sent them on the conveyor belt, and then spent the next 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do with us. They booked us on a flight for Philadelphia. When we explained that we had to go through customs with our baggage when we entered the U.S., they asked us what color our bags were. They're blue, just like every other popular set of luggage. They managed to find them anyway, and we were put on a flight to Philadelphia. The Philosopher King was in row 6. I was in row 28. Perfect.
They didn't give us any food, but there were snack boxes for sale for $5. I was starving, so I got out my money and patiently waited for the flight attendant. They ran out of boxes by about row 10. I've never heard of an International flight not serving food, but hey, what do I know? They also charged $5 for headsets to watch the movie. Ridiculous. Apparently they don't care about keeping passengers happy for some reason. I certainly wasn't happy!
The important thing is that we made it back, and we actually arrived in Bangor an hour ahead of schedule. I stepped off the plane and thought I was still in Mexico. It was so warm! I actually had to use the air conditioner in the car yesterday! Crazy. I'm just sorry that our family from up north didn't get to experience this lovely weather!
Well, I guess that's enough for now. I'm taking my husband out to the movies. We finally have time to do things together again!
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I think we can agree: Air travel sucks. I need a horse and buggy.
You're back, you're back!!
That said, I must return to my wretched paper.
Yeah, as much as I enjoy traveling, I think I'm going to stay away from planes for a little while. It's good to be back!
Where are the photos? WE NEED PHOTOS.
Post a Comment