I recently read a post on my future sister-in-law's blog concerning how she is not really doing what she wanted to do with her life, professionally speaking. I decided when I was 5 years old that I would become a music teacher. I figured it was that or take over the world; in my mind, they were much the same thing. I have always had severe asthma, so I couldn't run around with the other children on the playground. Instead, I built an army (or assembled a chorus, depending on how you want to look at it), and taught them songs I had written. Just picture for a moment a tiny five-year-old waving a stick in front of the faces of about 15 kids. I don't remember how I conned that many kids to learn tunes (excuse me, "pieces") that had terrific names like I ate a Pancake for Breakfast, but I tell you, I felt just like a dictator. We had rehearsals about 4 times a week in half hour blocks, and we gave frequent concerts. I tried to charge admission, but the teachers wouldn't let me.
At the age of 8, I saw The Little Mermaid, and I knew then that I had to find some way to become a professional mermaid. I was convinced that I could sing just like Ariel, and I would sing her signature "Ah ah ahhhh, ah ah ahhh, etc." to anyone who would stop and listen. I entered college with the idea that after I graduated with a "real" degree, I would move to Florida and play Ariel at Disney World for as many years as they would let me. It was my junior year when I went to a voice lesson and my professor asked me, "Sarah, what do you really want to do with your voice?" Stupidly, I thought he actually wanted to know, so I told him, "Well, honestly, I want to go to Disney World, play Ariel, and sing Part of Your World for the rest of my life." He thought I was being insolent and promptly threw me out. Of course then I fell in love, flew to Japan, became a middle school music teacher, and my plans for becoming a mermaid and/or master of the world have not come to fruition... yet....
Incidentally, I have linked Megan's site. I read it almost everyday for its entertainment value, and I highly recommend it. However, it does concern me that she is reading my site since she appears to be a grammar fanatic. Of course, if I plan to rule the world someday, I might as well do it with proper punctuation.
Tuesday, January 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment