Friday, February 15, 2008

The Nicest Kids in Town

When my students recommended that I watch Hairspray, I was a little skeptical. I feared that it would be similar to the movie Rent, which I feel absolutely massacred the truly brilliant musical. I was pleasantly surprised after I finally rented and watched Hairspray, and I highly recommend it to others. It was cast really well (I know, I had my doubts about Zac Efron too), and once I got used to seeing John Travolta dressed up as a woman, even that worked pretty well.

My chorus is now working on "You Can't Stop the Beat", and they love it. One of my students said the other day, "You know, it's weird. For every concert we do, there is one song that everyone loves and gets really excited about!" I smiled and said, "You know I do that on purpose, right?" I'm glad it's working!

The entire song is about 10 minutes long, so this is the short version which is pretty close to the arrangement that my chorus is doing:



Oh, and I have a group of boys singing Queen Latifah's part who are beyond thrilled.

No comments: